Do you want to be an Alabama State Thespian Officer?
What is a State Thespian Officer?
An Alabama State Thespian Officer (STO), is the student leadership team for Alabama Thespians. This elite group of students has a variety of responsibilities throughout the year focused on advocacy for the arts and Alabama Thespians, outreach to high school theatre students, engagement with current Thespians, and planning/executing the Alabama Thespian Festival each year. Having student voices in leadership for Alabama Thespians is vital to the success of the organization as a whole. Each student member serves for 14 months from the conclusion of festival.
For a video from the STO about what they do and why they love it, CLICK HERE!
How are the STO elected?
If you are interested in being a State Thespian Officer, we would first recommend looking at our Instagram @AlThespiansSTO and see what the STO do all year. In order to apply, you will need to fill out an application. Applications for the 2024-2025 board are due on February 10, 2024. Once your application has been turned in, you will fill out the listed forms to sign up for your required interview and shadow session. The STO Advisors will review applications and interview all candidates. The new board will be announced at the end of the 2024 festival at Closing Ceremony.
Where are the meetings, how do I get there, and where do I stay?
While many of the meetings will be held virtually via Google Meet, we will have approximately 2-4 in-person meetings (not including Festival weekend). Transportation to and from in-person meetings is the responsibility of the STO. Some students carpool, but you must always be prepared to arrange for your own transportation. Meetings are often held at Vestavia Hills High School. There may be times when board members stay overnight in a hotel or in the home of another board member; always under adult supervision. It’s important that your parents are aware of this commitment. Meetings will be 10am-12pm. There will be an in-person retreat over the summer and several in-person meetings over the year, dates and times TBD.
Here are the scheduled dates for the 2024-2025 school year:
February 16th-17th, 2024 (Festival! You must attend Festival in order to become an STO)
March 9th, 2024
April 6th, 2024
May 11th, 2024
June 8th, 2024
July 6th, 2024
August 3rd, 2024
August 24th, 2024 (In-Person Leadership Day)
September 21st, 2024
October 12th, 2024
December 14th, 2024
January 4th, 2025
January 18th, 2025
February 1st, 2025
February 8th, 2025
February 13th-15th, 2025 (Festival 2024 Thursday through Saturday)
March 15th, 2025
April 5th, 2025
Will my Troupe Director be required to be on the Adult Board if I am a State Thespian Officer?
The Alabama State Thespian Festival runs on volunteer power. We depend on the involvement of Troupe Directors to function effectively. While we highly encourage your sponsor to help organize the festival in some way, we do not require troupe director involvement. Likewise, Troupe Directors wishing to be involved need only ask.
What does the STO board use in terms of technology?
An STO must have a Google account, as Google Drive is where all of their work will go. They must be familiar with Google Docs, Slides, Form, Sheets, Calendar, Keep, and Meet. Canva is also a frequently used tool, but previous knowledge is not needed. Meetings will be held on Google Meet, but all other communication will be through Slack or email. Students are encouraged to check their Slack and email frequently. Students will need a public Instagram for any STO activities like seeing shows, workshop days, or promoting festival; this can be made after they are elected.
Do I have to be an inducted Thespian?
No, however, you must be inducted by September 2024 or an inducted Jr. Thespian. Please email the advisors if this is an issue or concern.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Necessities/Duties for all STO:
- Come to ALL scheduled meetings.
- Take notes at meetings
- Reach out to local, state, and national representatives to advocate for the arts.
- Engage students throughout the year to spread the word about Thespians and keep current Thespians engaged.
- Festival weekend, Thursday through Saturday
- Leadership retreat for the STO in the summer (Dates TBA)
- Lead the Alabama Thespians as a good role model and embody all that is expected of an up-standing Thespian.
- Have regular access to a computer and the internet.
- Serve as a Goodwill Ambassador for the ITS.
Team Descriptions vary from year to year and are typically crafted to fit the skills & talents of the incoming board. With that said, below are some example positions that are typically available on the board. Teams are assigned by the STO advisors and announced at Closing Ceremony.
- Plan In-Person Leadership Day
- Plan events for student engagement at Festival
- Manage STO Table and Silent Auction
- Coordinate Duck Duos
- Assist in choosing Festival Decor
- Write and plan the Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Schedule the STO at Festival
- Oversee the @AlThespiansSTO Instagram Page
- Assist with the Alabama Thespians Website
- Create engaging posts and post on the STO Instagram frequently
- Host live events on the Instagram
- Plan and oversee Instagram Takeovers
- Create graphics as needed by the Adult Board
- Promote all STO events and projects
Advocacy and Outreach:
- Create and maintain a list of shows happening throughout the year
- Act as a representative for Alabama Thespians
- Create and Maintain the Troupe Representatives GroupMe
- Oversee the writing and sending of Advocacy Letters to government representatives
- Oversee the Adopt A Thespian program
- Oversee the writing of Thank-you letters to workshop presenters at Festival