Click here to watch a video on becoming an STO!
Do you want to be an Alabama State Thespian Officer?
What is a State Thespian Officer?
An Alabama State Thespian Officer (STO), is the student leadership team for Alabama Thespians. This elite group of students have a variety of responsibilities throughout the year focused on advocacy for the arts and Alabama Thespians, outreach to middle school & high school theatre students, engagement with current Thespians, and planning/executing the Alabama Thespian Festival each year. Having student voices in leadership for Alabama Thespians is vital to the success of the organization as a whole. Each student member serves for 14 months from the conclusion of festival.
How are the STO elected?
If you are interested in being a State Thespian Officer, we would first recommend talking to the current STO. Connecting with them via social media is a great way to learn more about what they do. In order to apply, you will need to fill out an application. Applications for the 2023-2024 board are due on February 1, 2023. Once your application has been turned in, you will receive information about an interview time and a time to shadow. The outgoing State Thespian Officers and the STO Advisors will review applications and interview all candidates. The new board will be announced at the end of the 2023 festival.
Where are the meetings, how do I get there, and where do I stay?
While many of the meetings will be held virtually via Google Meet, we will have approximately 2-4 in-person meetings (not including Festival weekend). Transportation to and from in-person meetings is the responsibility of the STO. Some students carpool, but you must always be prepared to arrange for your own transportation. Meetings are often held at Vestavia Hills High School. There may be times when board members stay overnight in a hotel or in the home of another board member; always under adult supervision. It’s important that your parents are aware of this commitment.
Here are the scheduled dates for the 2023-2024 school year (Meetings will be virtual unless noted otherwise on certain dates):
February 17th-18th, 2023 (Festival! You must attend Festival in order to become an STO)
March 4th, 2023
April 1st, 2023
April 15th, 2023 (In-person for Virtual Advocacy Day/ Farewell to our Outgoing Board)
May 6th, 2023
June 3rd, 2023
July 8th, 2023
August 5th, 2023
September 9th, 2023
September 16th, 2023 (In-person for Virtual Leadership Day/ Fall Meeting)
November 4th, 2023
December 2nd, 2023
January 6th, 2024
January 20th, 2024 (In-person- Festival Prep)
February 3rd, 2024 (Possibly in-person if needed)
February 15th-18th, 2024 (Approximate date of Festival 2024)
March 2nd, 2024
April 6th, 2024
April 20th, 2024 (In-person for Virtual Advocacy Day/ Farewell to our Outgoing Board)
Will my Troupe Director be required to be on the Adult Board if I am a State Thespian Officer?
The Alabama State Thespian Festival runs on volunteer power. We depend on the involvement of Troupe Directors to function effectively. While we highly encourage your sponsor to help organize the festival in some way, we do not require troupe director involvement. Likewise, Troupe Directors wishing to be involved need only ask.
Do I have to have a knowledge of technology in order to serve?
You must have access to the internet and the ability to communicate via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and email on a regular and consistent basis. You must have an account on each listed social media as well as a personal email address. A basic knowledge of simple word processing programs is essential.
Do I have to be an inducted Thespian?
Yes, all State Thespian Officer candidates must be inducted Thespians.
Duties and Responsibilites
General Necessities/Duties for all STO:
- Come to ALL scheduled meetings.
- Reach out to local, state, and national representatives to advocate for the arts.
- Engage students throughout the year to spread the word about Thespians and keep current Thespians engaged.
- Festival weekend, Thursday through Sunday
- Leadership retreat for the STOs in the spring (Dates TBA)
- Lead the Alabama Thespians as a good role model and embody all that is expected of an up-standing Thespian.
- Have regular access to a computer and the internet. A microphone is a plus.
- Serve as a Goodwill Ambassador for the ITS.
Job Descriptions vary from year to year and are typically crafted to fit the skills & talents of the incoming board. With that said, below are some example positions that are typically available on the board. Positions are assigned by the STO advisors once the board is selected.
- Take clear & detailed minutes at each meeting and post them promptly following each meeting
- Keep action notes on STO assignments and follow up as needed
- Maintain Inventory of Festival supplies
- Create Festival supply list
- Create and maintain a detailed agenda for the STO during Festival
Advocacy and Outreach Chair:
- Lead & oversee the initiative to create new Thespian troupes at schools with theatre programs
- Chair of Advocacy Day Virtual Workshops and Planning
- Collect names and contact information for Government and State Education Leaders
- Draft and edit letters to Government and State Education Leaders
- Create agendas for & run the STO meetings
- Act as a liaison between the State Thespian Officers and the Adult State Board
- Assist Chapter Director with board communications.
- Monitor all STO goals and help ensure deadlines are being met
Social Media Coordinator:
- Create a social media plan for the year
- Post & maintain the State Thespian Officer instagram account
- Respond to comments & DMs from Thespians
- Create slideshows/videos for opening/closing ceremony.