Do you want to be an Alabama State Thespian Officer?
Being an STO is an honor in so many ways! You get the opportunity to represent the arts in your state and advocate for something much bigger than yourself. You get to be a part of organizing and planning for the Thespian Festival. You will be required to attend meetings throughout the year to advocate for the arts, engage with students, and help plan festival. You get to put your mark on Alabama Thespians and work towards making it bigger and better each year!!
What is a State Thespian Officer?
An Alabama State Thespian Officer (STO), is the student leadership team for Alabama Thespians. This elite group of students have a variety of responsibilities throughout the year focused on advocacy for the arts and Alabama Thespians, outreach to middle school & high school theatre students, engagement with current Thespians, and planning/executing the Alabama Thespian Festival each year. Having a student voices in leadership for Alabama Thespians is vital in the success of the organization as a whole. Each student member serves for one year from the conclusion of festival.
How are the STO elected?
If you are interested in being a State Thespian Officer, we would first recommend talking to the current STO. Connecting with them via social media is a great way to connect and learn more about what they do. In order to apply, you will need to fill out an application. Applications for the 2021-2022 board are due on December 18th, 2020. Once your application has been turned in, you will receive information about an interview time and a time to shadow. The outgoing State Thespian Officers and the STO Advisors will review applications and interview all candidates. The new board will be announced at the end of the 2021 festival
Where are the meetings, how do I get there, and where do I stay?
Transportation to and from meetings is the responsibility of the STO. Some students carpool, but you must always be prepared to arrange for your own transportation. Meetings will not always be in your hometown; there may be times when board members stay overnight in a hotel or in the home of another board member; always under adult supervision. It’s important that your parents are aware of this commitment. We will also have virtual meetings via zoom, google meet, etc throughout the year.
Will my Troupe Director be required to be on the Adult Board if I am a State Thespian Officer?
The Alabama State Thespian Festival runs on volunteer power. We depend on the involvement of Troupe Directors to function effectively. While we highly encourage your sponsor to help organize the festival in some way, we do not require troupe director involvement. Likewise, Troupe Directors wishing to be involved need only ask.
Do I have to have a knowledge of technology in order to serve?
You must have access to the internet and the ability to communicate via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and email on a regular and consistent basis. You must have an account on each listed social media as well as a personal email address. A basic knowledge of simple word processing programs is essential.
Do I have to be an inducted Thespian?
Yes, all State Thespian Officer candidates must be inducted Thespians.
Duties and Responsibilites
General Necessities/Duties for all STO:
- Come to ALL scheduled meetings.
- Reach out to local, state, and national representatives to advocate for the arts.
- Engage students throughout the year to spread the word about Thespians and keep current Thespians engaged.
- Festival weekend, Thursday through Sunday
- Leadership retreat for the STOs in the month of March.
- Lead the Alabama Thespians as a good role model and embody all that is expected of an up-standing Thespian.
- Have regular access to a computer and the internet. A microphone is a plus. In case weather forces us to cancel, we will meet virtually.
- Serve as a Goodwill Ambassador for the ITS.
Job Descriptions vary from year to year and are typically crafted to fit the skills & talents of the incoming board. With that said, below are some example positions that are typically available on the board. Positions are assigned by the STO advisors once the board is selected.
- Take clear & detailed minutes at each meeting
- Maintain inventory of Festival supplies
- Create Festival supply list
- Support the President in agenda creation & running STO meetings
- Leads & oversees the initiative to create new Thespian troupes at schools with theatre programs
- Assist in follow up on deadlines & projects
- Create agendas for & run the STO meetings
- Act as a liaison between the State Thespian Officers and the Adult State Board
- Assist Chapter Director with board communications.
- Monitor all STO goals and help ensure deadlines are being met
Social Media Coordinator:
- Create a social media plan for the year
- Post & maintain the State Thespian Officer instagram account
- Responds to comments & DMs from Thespians
- Creates slideshows for opening/closing ceremony.